Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Hu Tong Dumpling Bar - Melbourne

Hu Tong Dumpling Bar, does not require an introduction. As the restaurant name implies; dumplings, dumplings, dumplings. They are my absolute favourite chinese food. I love them in soup, I love them with soy/vinegar and fresh ginger, I love them in spicy/garlic sauce, I love them in szenchuan sauce, I love them with chinese brocoli at yum cha, I love them pan fried, I love them deep fried, I love them in hot pots, I love them VERY much! Do you think I could have an obsession?


Our mini trip to Melbourne continued on 030110. Someone had reccommended we try Hu Tong Dumplings. We were really keen but didn't make any effort to try look for it especially because we were tight with time. Anyways, so it was Sunday morning about 10am, and our group was on our way to visit a church in the CBD. As you do, the seven of us got lost, however along the way we came accross Market Lane...ahhhh - looked down the street and saw the banner - Hu Tong Dumpling Bar - YESSSSSS - we are going there for lunch today!


When we got there there was no room available (Mez Question: are you one of those diners who walk away from a restaurant when they turn you down and say you have to wait?? hehe...I don't like walking away...it makes me want the table even MORE...so I tend to wait for it...if you are someone who walks away...I urge you to stay if it happens to you here....it's worth the wait!) Anyways, so the kind waitress asked us to come back at 2pm for a seating.

2.30pm...phewww...we made it! We were the last group to be seated because the restaurant closes at 3pm. We are lead upstairs and seated on a large round table with a lazy susan. I love it already - the decor is very modern yet still has the oriental feel to it. The other tables are buzzing with lots of shared dishes - lots of dumplings, lots of hot and spicy soup - I generally like to gaze around to see what others are eating before I make my order. Here is what we ordered


We cannot visit a dumpling bar, without ordering the ever so gracious Xiao Long Bao - soft pillows of delightfulness with juicy pork mince overflowing with succulence :-D


Steamed pork wontons in hot and spicy sauce - these were delicious


My favourite item at this restaurant were the pan fried dumplings. These were served on a crispy base, but soft and juicy when bitten in to- they too look like soft pillows on a bed. :-)

Eveything on the table


We also ordered some other dishes- fried rice, wonton soup, chinese brocolli in oyster sauce

What's on Mezza's plate?


Succulent Xiao Long Bao - and how they look inside ;-)

14-16 Market La
Melbourne 3000 VIC
Phone: (03) 9650 8128
Opening Hours:
Daily 11.30am-3pm
Sun-Thu 5.30pm-10.30pm
Fri-Sat 5.30pm-11pm

No comments:

Post a Comment